Monday, January 31, 2011

"Punnagaiyil thee mooti" - Jeans (1998)

We move on to one of my favorite pieces from A.R.Rahman. "Punnagaiyil theemooti..." from Jeans. It is around 2 minutes long and wasn't part of the six songs in the audio release (added as an additional track in the Soundtrack CD released a bit later). It was more of a background theme in the movie, where it is placed after people learn that Aishwarya Rai's twin doesn't exist and they were all taken for a ride. Basically, everyone loses everyone else.

Brilliant composition, there's no denying that... I think AR Rahman's previous movie was Iruvar and hopes were really high. He exceeded all kinds of expectations with this movie. So yea, I don't really comment on AR Rahman's work usually, because all I do is praise it. Hariharan brings the feel that the lyrics deserve and the rest is history.

Vairamuthu dishes out brilliant stuff to go with the amazing tune and the song haunts me to this day. I 'drowned' in the song with the very first line. Imagine, she can set him on fire with just her smile and all he's left with, now, after everything that happened, are tears to put it out with.

Well, I can go on rambling about this song but I'm just gonna say one word - Brilliant. One of the very few songs that many people love and share their stories with.

Vairamuthu-Rahman-Hariharan: Respect!


Music Director: A.R.Rahman
Singer: Hariharan
Lyrics: Vairamuthu (for the entire film)

Punnagaiyil thee mootti ponavale...
Kanneeril adhai anaikka sonnavale...
Anbe, en boomiye mullaanadhe...
Haiyo, en kaatrellam nanjanadhe...

En uyire, en dhegam thinnadhe...
En vizhiye, mugam thaandi chelladhe(sellaadhe)...

En uyire, en dhegam thinnadhe...
En vizhiye, mugam thaandi chelladhe...

Anbe, mei enbade poi aaginaal,
Aiyo, poi enbadhu ennagumo?
Uyir kaadhal uyir vazhumo!

Translation:

You left after setting a fire with your smile
and asked me to put it out with my tears...
My dear love, my earth is filled with thorns...
and all the air I breathe is mere poison...

Oh my Soul, don't consume my physical self...
Oh my eyes, please don't go away from my face...
(repeat)

Oh my dear, if all the truth in the world are mere lies,
What will happen to ones that were lies to begin with?
Will my love, my life... will it survive? (kinda twisting it here to bring that feel )


Video
I wouldn't say brilliant, but it was good nevertheless and the team did justice to the amazing composition. Do listen...



3 comments:

  1. wat a lovely feeling song....thanks for lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  2. its really really lovely & beautiful song for ever.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last line is 'poi kaadhal uyir vazhumo'

    ReplyDelete